Founded by Fred and Pat Cody, Cody's Books opened in 1956 in a tiny Berkeley storefront with an investment of $5,000. Cody's moved to its flagship Telegraph Avenue location in 1965; that store was expanded significantly in 1986, with the addition of the Fred Cody Building, housing both more bookstore and all company offices. Our second Berkeley location, Cody's Fourth Street, opened in the fall of 1997, and Cody's Stockton Street store in downtown San Francisco opened in September 2005.
Cody's has been a pioneer in the book business, helping to establish such innovations as quality paperbacks, in-store author readings, and direct importing of books. Throughout the 1960s and 70s, the Codys fought attempts at censorship and kept the store open even as it filled with teargas from demonstrations in nearby People's Park.
For more information, visit: http://www.codysbooks.com